Poor stain resistance on exterior surfaces
Accumulation of dirt, dust or other debris on the paint film surface. It is sometimes mistaken for mould.
- Use of wrong paint or poor surface preparation
- Constructional reasons: lack of water troughs causing dirt to spatter on external cladding.
- Environmental reasons: pollution, exhaust fumes, and dust in the air accumulate on exterior cladding and structures.
- Applying porous, matt or semi-matt paint on surfaces exposed to dust or dirt.
- Applying nothing but an undercoat.
SolutionIf the surface does not require repainting, wash down with Tikkurila Huoltopesu (Maintenance Cleaner) according to instructions on the label, and rinse thoroughly.
If the surface is to be repainted, wash with Tikkurila Homeenpoisto (Mould Removal), rinse well and allow to dry (see Mould).
Apply primer undercoat to the clean wooden surfaces.
Paint with a suitable Tikkurila exterior paint according to instructions. Gloss paints are not as sensitive to dirt as porous, matt paints.