Wrinkling on exterior surfaces
A rough, crinkled paint surface.
- Applying a topcoat over an insufficiently cured undercoat.
- The topcoat dries too quickly in direct sunlight.
- Paint applied too thickly, usually alkyd and oil-based paints.
- Exposure of the paint film to rain, dew, fog, or high humidity during application or drying.
- Low temperatures during application and drying.
- Painting over a contaminated surface, e.g. dirt.
SolutionRemove wrinkled paint either by scraping or by sanding. If the paint coat is too thick, remove it completely.
Clean the surface with Tikkurila Homeenpoisto (Mould Removal) according to instructions on the label, rinse thoroughly (see Mould). Allow to dry.
Apply primer undercoat to the clean wooden surfaces. Apply an even coat of a suitable Tikkurila exterior paint according to instructions. Ensure that the previous paint coat is dry before applying a topcoat. See the product label for spreading rate.
Do not paint in direct sunlight. The best weather for painting is when it is warm and overcast. See the product label for information on painting conditions.